Monday, May 5

mild green Fairy liquid

A week without rain, a sunny morning and my bike back on the road so it is shark time, before the water gets too chilly. Although, when the water does get to chilly I'll still go to the Bower. I'll just get cold. For a change I slipped into th water from te edge of thepool and was immediately mildly unimpressed with the greenish gunkiness of the water. Shame. But it was a fabulous morning, there were few people in the water (most seemed to be at a surf lifesaving club carnival of sorts at Manly) and I was hapy to be back in the water. Did seem a tad chilly though.

It was not too long before I spotted my first two sharks, not far off of the front of the pool. I didn't get a great look at them as the water was a bit murky, but I had high hopes of seeing a few more, hopes that were dashed until right near the end of the dive when I saw another couple of the sharks even closer in that I'd sen the first two. Maybe the same two again, but one of the later fish did look a fair bit larger than the others, so I am going to claim I saw four. I've still not got close to them, even sans-scuba. One day...

The rest of the dive was lovely-if-green (OK, I'll stop harping on about the vis) with the highlight being the rocky area frequented by the yellowtail. The fish semed more relaxed than usual; several kingfish ambled among the yellowtail, a small group of old wives hung in midwater and a three bar porcupine fish swam comically through the lot, chased - though not aggressively - by me. Just after seeing the second two sharks I saw a huge school of mullet belt past me ove the shallow reef. On the way back I even saw a stinger, of sorts. A small, square, pink-tentacled thing that I gave a reasonably wide berth.

The picture, by the way, is from later in the day. Long Reef, looking south from Collaroy Beach. Lovely huh?

No comments: