Monday, May 19

one, two, three, four loads

I guess I can keep this short and sweet because if you've read one you've read 'em all. Sort of. Back to the Bower and once again, tank free, once again with JCJ. It was a lovely morning and we were there relatively early, the weather forecast being a getting-worse-one that turned out to be wrong. We had the place to ourselves; no other divers, a few passing swimmers, no boat traffic. The water looked a little clearer than it had last week and that turned out to be the case, though it was nothing like the crystal clear conditions we had a month or so back. Still a bit green, but still warm we probably had around an hour in.

We followed the familiar pattern of heading straight out, over the sand, then heading north to the rocks, back out to the sand line, then to the southern end of the site and then out. Again things started inauspiciously, but I did briefly spot a couple of small sharks over the sand. They did not seem to be coming out to play, so we headed for the rocks, the schools of yellowtail, blue grouper, a good sized flathead, some old wives, a lovely school of anchovy...no kingfish this time though.

Sal was waiting on shore so we headed back south after a reasonable time which, had the weather not been quite so nice, she would have regarded as unreasonable. JCJ headed back over the rocks (I guess!) while I headed back over the sand on a shark hunt. I did a few dives to the sand so I could look back up at the surface - starting to really like that. And then I spotted a shark. Then another one, then another one, then...there were probably six or seven; probably more as the water was little murky and hey tend no to hang around.

I spent a bit of time swimming over them - some approaching 5ft long. I did a few dives, on one managing to scare the crap out of one of the sharks that scooted off super fast. Not hat I wanted to achieve, but very impressive. I managed to get withing about 10ft at one point. The secret is, I think, to guess where they'll be, drop to the bottom and get them to come to you. Easier said than done on a single breath, but it's that or go on scuba and scare the shit out of them with your Darth Vadar impression. I prefer the no tanks.

Anyway, by this time JCJ and I were back together and although we'd not had enough it was time to head for breakfast. Same time next week I guess. Or maybe I'll head to Shark Point. Looks nice in the picture eh?

Actually, that wasn't particularly short after all.

No comments: