Monday started with more showers, bit as the day went on we got the promised break before the also-promised wind from the south. Sal, having woken up at silly o clock needed an afternoon break so I grabbed the still wet gear and headed over to Clovelly.When I got there it was fairly flat and I decided to change my initial plan. I had intended to go into Gordon's Bay but as the bar was flat I decided to head out from Clovelly Pool and towards Shark Point. The first thing that struck me was how clear the water was. The sun was shining down through the water and I reckon vis was an easy 15m. It didn't seem too chilly, hough I think it was around sixteen degrees. I certainly didn't get cold. I headed out towards the point where there were a few fisherman. The thought of getting caught in line struck me and I decided - again - hat I'd have to carry a knife. There were few fish, and in the clear water, looking like a seal, I figured I looked more lie food than pretty much anything else. It did play on my mind a bit, especially as I was a little way from the rocks in fairly exposed open ocean. I headed back towards the rocks.
The clear water, huge boulders and kelp were great to swim over, around and through. I found a few Port Jackson sharks, five together under a small rock ledge. I dived down onto them a few times and they did not seem at all concerned by me. There were a few grouper, some small schools of fish and odd individuals here and there. But this was more about the topography. It was a very nice dip, even if I did keep looking over my shoulder for big toothy sharks.
I'll have to go back with JGJ. Fairly sure I can outswim him...
No comments:
Post a Comment