Sunday, November 9

noisy buggers

Back to the Bower for what seems like the first time in ages. The water was warmer and clearer than last time I was in, but no more sharky than I have come to expect. Which is a shame; maybe they'll be back. But there were schools of mullet and yellowtail, garfish, a couple of ocean trout (one trailing fishing line), blackfish, an estuary catfish, a numbray and a ray that scared the hell out of me. It was all good and very enjoyable.

There were a few scuba divers in the water and they are always fun to play with whether they notice you or not. Today some didn't and some did. The ones that did were part of a class. As I dropped down they were checking their air and letting the dive leader know hat theyhad left. So I slashed a finger across my throat, giving the "out of air" signal. The dive leader offered me her reg, pulling it from her mouth and giving a broad grin as I posed for a picture and made my way back to the surface. Damnit divers are noisy though. All that clanging and exhaust gas malarky. So I left them alone and meandered off to play with the fish.

Towards the end of the dive I headed out over the sand. The water was clear enough to provide a decent field of vision and I kept looking, without any success, for sharks. Rather than swim around much I dropped down and lay on the sand, just seeing what would come past. As it happens, not much. Apart from that stingray that I disturbed, Scared the hell out of me, but not so I bolted and I actualy felt quite comfortable. Which was nice.

That is pretty much it. I found a tyre with a metal pole sticking from it and a bottle attached to that pole with cable-ties. Nothign to exaplin why it was sitting in about 6m of water. After that I gently swam back as a yacht weaved its way into the bay and looked as if it may come a little close for comfort.

No comments: