Monday, August 9

And so to Sunday. Awoke to find some cloud coming in and the wind up a little. We were off to the Landrail at 08:00, this time first on the boat ot avoid the dagger-looks reserved for the tail enders we had been yesterday. OUtside of the harbour wall the sea was rather sloppy and Maverick was not handling well. At one point Jay let us know that the dive may be called if things did not improve, but that we would motor to the Bill and see what it was like.

By the time we rounded the Bill the seas were flatter and we continued on to take a look at what it was like on site. By the time we got there it was easily diveable and in went the shot. Jay thought he had missed the main part of the wreck and gave us the option of a short swim south to get on her or a wait while it was re-shot. The weather was on the turn so we all decided to go for it.

We nearly picked up a third diver, whose buddy ripped a neck seal, but we we were ready to do a stage/accelerated deco and he was none too keen, neither was Joe and I was not comfortable, so in the end it was as planned, just the two of us. We went in second, and after a delay while Joe helped another guy with his gear at the shot we started to descend. Sadly my ears were not having it, and it took me almost 5mins to clear them. Had they not cleared in 5mins I would have pulled the dive. I kept clearing the whole way downa nd they were fine.

We were planing a dive to 31m and were on 32% back gas. We got to the end of the shot in around 34m and found no wreck. Nevermind, we have only to swim south. Now after last week on the M2 you would have thought I would have repeated my success with running a line. Oh no. We nodded, looked at our compasses and headed south. Ish. In fact we continued heading southish for a little while, passing a lone diver and a small bit of kelp as we went.

After 20mins over sand we decided that we would not find the wreck and started our ascent. From here the pear shape that the dive had started taking on came in to bold relief. I had trouble getting the bag from my pocket. I had trouble getting my reel. I had trouble maintaining bouyancy while shotting the bag. In fact I would like to forget the whole sorry episode. But, these are learning moments and I should take something from them. Could do better. Bottom line is that the bag went up and we did a painfully slow ascent, a gas switch in which I had trouble clipping my long hose reg off (on the plus side the reg was presured and did not leak as it had yesterday oops!) and we finished the dive with a quite spectacularly over-the-top deco. But skills and drills, skills and drills.

Back on the boat we found that others had mixed fortune; some found the wreck, others found some scattered bits. I think I'll run a line again in future. And that was about it, a steam back to port as the wind strengthened and the rain started. Sally was fast asleep in the car having had dul morning in Weymouth, so I did a quicksmart pack up and headed home. And to complete a dodgy dive experience - I left my favourite hat on the boat. Ah well...Better luck next time.

No comments: