Friday, July 23

And so to the last day, which I don't have a lot to say about. The Aeolian Sky is at 30m so we had EAN36 and 50/50. The team for this dive was Joe and me, Izzy drifting about to keep an eye on us and see that our skills were up to scratch. It was murky, I was in a foul mood from the day before and I didn't enjoy my time on the wreck. My cannister packing up after 5mins did not help, and the scout light simply did not have the oomph to pick out the good stuff in the 4m vis. On the way out we all realised - after a not-too-subtle-hint from Izzy that we hadn't cut any tables for the dive. It was not going well. There was a current running which we gave up fighting and the ascent started early. The scent itself was good, far more controlled than the day before once the three days it took me to deploy the bag passed. I got the feeling that the wreck was big hunk of metal but got no real feel for it.

So at the end of dive 1 I wanted to go home, but we had a full team discussion and decided that as we had just a couple of skills to complete that we could go back to the Countess to finish the course and not to the Benny, a dive that would not have left Portland until 6pm and would have made it a very long day.

Jay took over looking out for me and Joe as we went through the final skills. In the end it was not that bad. Out of air drills went quite smoothly as did shutdowns. Minimal bouyancy loss too. I shot a couple of lift bags, we air shared through some tight silty areas of the wreck, gas switched, ascended in a controlled manner, frog-kicked (probably quite badly) and then it was over.

We headed for the Wreck Bar where I had my obligotary soda water and lime, we chatted abit and then headed our seperate ways. With a bit of daylight between the courses and now I can start to look at the positives and the negatives that bugged me at the time are starting to fade. Now it is a matter of getting back into the water and doing more skills and drills. And I may still put that bloody SMB on eBay...

No comments: