Apart from it being Vince and not JCJ with me and the weather being somewhat ordinary, damp, and drizzly, Harbord was all things it had been last time I wet my gills. Once again it was a little too lumpy out front or comfort so we headed down to to the pool and the gutter and headed out into some sand-stirred but clear and blue water. OK, a few facts and figures. Vis was around 12m, give or take and depending how rolly it was and how much sand was being kicked up. Temp did not drop below 20degrees, we headed in on a rising tide and were in for a hour. I got a little chilly by the end but was still fine in the 3mm, and with summer coming I fear for the drysuit.
So what did we see...loads of shit. Loads. A blindshark, wobby and a PJ, loads of small rays and a huge bull ray. There was a grizzled green moray, a pair of old wives, a pair of black reef leatherjackets, another huge school of bullseyes and yellowtail, and loads of other stuff. I even spotted a couple of colourful nudibranchs on the way back. Out front there were four large blue grouper. Four! These things are supposed to be territorial and you'll find either on or one dominant and one other together. No, four. I am renaming that part of the dive 'gay grouper point.' After the turn we headed up from the sandline to the rocks and went past a couple of small vertical walls that reminded me of The Docks at Jervis Bay. Harbord! Reminded me of JB! What the bloody hell is going on? The walls were fantastic. The seas above were a bit rolly so if you hung back a bit you'd see the wall, the blue water and the waves rolling in and crashin over top.
And hen there is the fixed life. My knowledge of fish names is iffy and of sponges and corals and other fixed stuf it's rubbish. So I'll leave it at this; loads of fixed life, colourful stuff. Lovely. In fact the whole dive was thoroughly lovely.
And then we had a spot of brunch. What a great way to start the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment