Sunday, September 10

Molokini Crater, Maui
Sept 5th 2006
Mike Severns Diving

A long time without scuba came to an end off of the Hawaiin island of Maui when I dived the Back Wall of the Molokini crater. Quite a spectacular site, a near vertical wall dropping to around 330ft (it's the US, I have to talk in feet) in clear blue, warm water. I can't do the farenheit thing; the water was around 28 degrees with no thermoclines. Vis was...well, lots. The Back Wall does not have a lot of fixed life, and I was not fortunate enough to see any really big stuff, but there is certainly enough life to make it a very nice dive. There were 12 divers in two groups and we sort of meandered a multi level along the wall, starting at around 28m - or whatever that is in ft - and I did 75mins back to the surface. Plenty of small tropicals and a couple of jeuvenille white tips. The best part, for me, was the topography.

Our second dive was very nearly a big let down. It was dive on a very small landing craft that sat over sand. I think the Red Sea and Aus have spoilt me as it was really not that great...apart from the dive leader managing to find exactly ehat I had asked for - two Harlequin Shrimp. So that was very nice. The rest of the dive was kind of a bimble. The water was still warm and clear, max depth was around 17m and I think I did about 45mins, lots in the 6m range as I followed above the main group who were captivated by one of the dive leaders playing with an octopus...bit of a tourist circus that, if you ask me, but it was done well and with no harm to the animal, so I'll not cry foul and I would recommend Mike Severns operation. A good crew and a fun time, shame I only did the one day.

No comments: